Thursday, April 7, 2011

Strong Start to Thursday



I think I'm going to start posting these each day in an effort to prod myself to get more sleep.  I've got a nifty app on my iPhone 4 called "Sleep Cycle".  It's only a buck, so you may want to check it out.  It does three things for you, only one of which is certainly useful.  The other two, well, maybe not as much, but I think they're worth it.  Sleep Cycle is an alarm clock app on IOS devices that you put on your bed at night and keeps running statistics of when you go to bed and get up each night.  It also uses the accelerometer to measure how much you toss and turn.  (Here's where the actual use of this may be debatable.)  Based on how much you toss and turn, the app will rate you as being "Awake", "Asleep", or "Deep Asleep".  Basically, the less you move, the more the app believes you're deep asleep.  The app then uses this information along with the alarm clock.  It will wake you up as much as a half hour before the time you've set if it believes that you're "Awake".  The theory is that you'll wake smoother than if you're in a deep sleep and thus have a better start to your day.  As you can see, I didn't get as much sleep as I'd have liked last night.  But I do feel good this morning.  For whatever reason, I just feel ready to tackle the day.

Also good news this morning, though my weight hasn't moved much, my fat % is going down.  As of this morning, good ol' Tanita reports that I'm at 24.6% fat, and has upgraded me from "Obese" (the ++ icon on the scale) to just "Overweight" (the + icon on the scale).  So while I'm not dropping much weight at the moment, if the scale is accurate, I'm happy to see that I'm down there.  Hopefully that number continues to dip.

Last night I made a Paleo correct Taco Salad.  A friend of mine pointed out that the cheese on it probably wasn't paleo correct.  After digging into Cordain's book a bit and from what I keep hearing from Robb Wolf, I think she's probably right.  Glad for people that know more than I do to keep me on track!  As far as the taco salad, it's a keeper even though I goofed in making it and forgot to add the seasoning at the right time.  I also started the meat first as the recipe showed, but I probably should have waited until I had everything else prepared to start the meat since it finished early and was cool by the time we ate it.  I'll do better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment